Nrupa Soman, Principal
- Currently working on an untitled dance project
- Performed at the Natyanjali Festival, Mumbai
- Performed at the Satara Diwali Festival
- Performed at the Satara Mahashivratri Festival
- Performed at the 22nd World Congress on Dance research, Athens
- Conceived and choreographed a dance project based on the Sufi philosophy, expressed through bharatanatyam
- Conceived and choreographed a dance project concerning terrorism named “Aatank”
- Conceived and choreographed a one hour dance piece titled “Freedom” Using the analogy of a kite, this piece explores the strings or the trappings imposed by society on man
- Conceived and choreographed a dance ballet “Nritya Ramayana”
- Performed as Kunti in Kunti – Ek katha (2002 – 2005) a dance drama in the Bharatanatyam style, based on the life of Kunti
- Performed in Deepshikha – a dance based on atrocities faced by women
- Has choreographed a dance sequence for the play “Adnyat Zaryavar Ratri”
- Has choreographed several dance dramas for the festival “Swayamprabha” like Pancha-Mahabhuta, Meghadootam, Priyamvada, Ravana, Akti din etc
- Has performed at various other festivals and corporate shows for SKF, RAMA, EATON, Soroptomists, UWA, Swadhar, Dignity Foundation etc
- Acted as the lead in a short film “Night Walk” for FTII, Pune
- Anchored for the documentary film “An Ideal Village” and “Gaav ho to aisa”
- Performed in the documentary film on dance therapy “Dancing away the blues” by Urmila Mohite for EMRC (UGC). The dance and acting performance in the film was highly appreciated.
- Performed for the FTII Film Maharashtra Ki Lokdhara presenting dances of Maharashtra.
- Acted in short films for FTII, Pune and the Digital Academy, Gemini Studios
- Principal, Nritya Prerana School of Dance
- Conducts dance therapy sessions for Parkinson’s afflicted and other learning disabilities under the guidance of Guru Mrs. Suchitra Date.
- Associated with the “Nritya for Body and Soul” project
- Conducts workshops and lec-dems on “Appreciating Dance” for corporates and foreign delegates.
- Conducts training programmes for advanced students.
- Conducts regular classes for beginners as well as advanced students in the field of Bharatanatyam.
- Collaborated with Gram Mangal to create a dance laboratory and syllabus for their schools.
Books and publications:
- Presented a paper on “Iconography in Bharatanatyam” at the inter-university level.
Academics and Training:
- Secured a scholarship in dance awarded by the Cultural Resources and Training Centre (CCRT), New Delhi.
- Completed a course on Acting and Dance from Actor Prepares, Mumbai
- Visharad, Akhil Bharatiya Kala Kendra
- Studied Bharatanatyam (Thanjavur), under the tutelage of Guru Suchitra Date from Nritya Prerana School of Dance, since 1997
- Completed M.A. Psychology, Fergusson College, Pune
- Stood first in HSC board in Political Science.
- Multi-lingual – Can speak Hindi, English, Marathi